Recently, the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) filed a request with the Postal Regulatory Commission to establish the 2017 Promotional Program. The first of the 2017 promotions will begin Jan. 1, 2017. There are six (6) proposed promotions:
- Emerging and Advanced Technology
- Mobile Shopping
- Tactile, Sensory & Interactive Mailpiece Engagement
- Earned Value Reply Mail
- Personalized Color Transpromo
- Direct Mail Starter (New) – A temporary postage discount on mailpieces that contain print-mobile technology that, when scanned, leads the recipient to a mobile-optimized website.
It’s great to see the USPS file the request so early. For most companies the 2017 budget process begins in the summer, so having the information now is helpful. Savvy managers can incorporate the promotions in their budgeting process and long term planning, including:
- Tying a request for new color printers to the proposed discounts.
- Educating the marketing department on the power of physical mail.
- Integrating multiple channels (print, mobile, web) with future campaigns.
- Challenging mail service providers to participate in the promotions.
The promotions have been successful for the USPS and mailers alike – more volumes and more discounts. However, many mailers haven’t participated, and missed out on the savings. With the information available today, mailers can plan for the future, and make 2017 a successful year.